ponderous


“Progress is another myth. Progress is fine, but it is not to be confused with success or worth. I wanted to be a great writer, and I might have made some progress toward my goal, but that is not to say that I became a great writer. We cannot infantilize ourselves any longer. Baby steps are fine for a baby. We are no longer babies. Aim high and fail big, but don’t look for the star on your report card or a pat on the back. Instead get back to work and the big goal.

What is progress, anyway? The half of the bottle I didn’t drink? The feeling I didn’t hurt in my travels today? The responsibility I didn’t shirk?

We can only be rewarded by continuing the work–of being artists and being decent humans. We do not deserve a star or a pat on the back. We have earned our place.”

– Tennessee Williams

No comments: